Saturday, January 01, 2005

Week 4 - My attempt

I'm having a clear out of my flat. It is amazing how many computer cables, mobile phone chargers, pots of half used paint and general tat that I have acquired.

The local charity shops have benefited from donations of unwanted clothes and non-electrical nik-naks. Let's just hope no one comes looking for that napkin set they gave me as a 21st birthday present.

Unfortunately, the unused paint in my paint pots has solidified and is no use at all to charities such as Community Repaint. However, I can take it to my local household recycling and refuse centre where they will at least dispose of it responsibly. Try your council.

Okay, what is left. It looks like I've got loads of stuff that other people may have a use for. Stuff that sits in your back garden for years may be just what someone else is looking for and may even make you some money. Thank goodness for ebay. Bye-bye big panes of blue glass.

There are some things though that I really can't be bothered to put on ebay, considering the time it would take, the likely cost of postage and the likely sale value. Things such as mobile chargers and computer cables. Luckily the internet has an answer for everything. Although some charity shops won't take electrical equipment, there are any number of groups that are crying out for your goods.

Vodafone were more than happy to take all my mobile bumpf, even the manuals!

Luckily for me, Computer Aid are just around the corner and accept individual donations if you drop them off in person. They need mice and cables.

Alternatively, you can post your old computer to them but it will cost you about £9.

Well that's quite a lot of drawer space cleared. Now I have to stop myself buying more tat to fill them with. My flat is starting to look rather minimalist. Well if it wasn't for the recycling bins and the dog.

Click here for further information and links about recycling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey smallenvironmentalist, you have a really nice blog! I found it while doing a search for usb cables. Although your blog wasn't exactly what I was looking for it did provide for an interesting read. Keep up the good work! Thanks.