Saturday, January 01, 2005

Week 3 - My attempt

Well, to be honest, I already have a kerbside box. I did have to call up recently and get a new one though, as the old one was "borrowed". Islington Council was remarkably efficient and it arrived in a couple of days.

They have also started to take plastic and cardboard now, rather than just the glass bottles and newspapers they collected previously. I'm not entirely sure that it all goes to be recycled, I suspect that it ends up as landfill. I suspect this because when I called up to see if they had found my passport in my recycling box the chap on the other end of the phone laughed and said "you must be joking, it'll be in landfill by now". Still, I can say that I've kept my end of the bargain and Islington Council does deny that the contents of our recycling boxes go to landfill. I will just have to believe them.

The only tricky bit about recycling is that my kitchen isn't quite big enough for the number of bins that this now seems to require. We are also shortly going to be receiving a compost bin and there will be collections each week of kitchen scraps. I need a utility room!

I have noticed a significant reduction in the amount of rubbish I put out for the binmen though. It's nice to have such a visible sign of one's do-gooding. One can feel smugly virtuous when looking at the neighbour's overflowing rubbish. Of course, it would be nicer if they got a box too.

Perhaps I will order another one. Then I will have fulfilled my weekly task.

Click here for further information.

No comments: